- DANGER: Ice Threat To Winter Storm
- Winter Storm Brings Severe Side
- WWII 'Mega Submarine' FOUND
- They've NEVER Seen Anything Like It
- WATCH: SNEAKIEST Hunting Trick EVER
- Would YOU Use THIS?
- What Happens To HIM Each Winter
- Killer Whales Amazing Power Discovered
- A MAJOR Whale Discovery!
- Tornado Victims Search for Letters
- Storm Watch
- Turkey Attacks Fed Ex Truck
- A Puffin Comeback
- 500 Pound Pig on the Loose
- Whales Stranded in Everglades
- 400,000 Yr Old Bones Rock Science World
- Volcano Spews More Ash
- Hero Killed by Big Wave
- Winter Storm Cleon: A Mixed Bag
- Forecast for the Week Ahead
- Landslide Rips Apart Roads
- Alien Water Found?
- Jellyfish, the Future of Flight?
- Big Cat Roams in Hollywood Hills
- Adorable, Baby Dinosaur Will Make You Smile
- A Better Berry, Thanks to Bees
- Listen to the Koala's Mating Call
- Fish You DON'T Want to Eat
- A Fish That Lives on LAND?
- Weekend Forecast
- Incurable Virus?
- Rescue After Nearly 3 Days at Sea!
- Deadly Shark Attack in Paradise
- Getting Rid of Snakes With MICE
- Precipitation Starts as SNOW?
- How Deep is the Cold Air?
- A National Look at the Next 3 Days
- They Want to Put WHAT on the Moon?
- 2013 Hurricane Season Wrap Up
- Reporting INSIDE Winter Storm Cleon
- Best Ways To Protect Your Car This Winter
- A Predatory Flower?
- What You Don't Know About Rain
- Never-Before-Seen Views!
- SpaceX Successfully Launches Communications Satellite
- She Was Trapped Here for HOURS
- Seattle Seahawks Fans Register As Earthquake
- Smelly Problem Made Worse
- World's First Electric Helicopter!
- Do We Actually Get Sick More in Winter?
- Giant Python Unhinges Jaws
- GRAPHIC: Sperm Whale EXPLODES
- Earthquake Explosions SHOCK Community
- De-Icer Made This Bridge DANGEROUS
- WWII Super Submarine Discovered!
- Let the Drone Wars Begin
- Honey to Help You LOSE Weight?
- STUNNING Fog in the Grand Canyon
- Lost and Found in an EF-4 Tornado
- Gas Pipeline EXPLODES!
- It Keeps Going, and Going!
- The Enchanted River
- CAUTION? It May Be a Good Thing
- Sunscreen in the Winter?
- See-Through Sea Creature!
- RIP Ugliest Dog in the World
- Disappearing Tribal Cultures
- What Happened to 2013 Hurricane Season?
- What is Killing These Animals?
- African Elephant in DANGER
- Camera Flies Away? How?
- Doctors Growing Skin for Surgical Procedures
- Ancient Skulls FOUND in Mass Grave
- Heavy Rainfall Causes Flooding in Italy
- Challenges for Drone Delivery
- What Weather Will Winter Bring?
- Green Sea Turtle Populations on the Rise
- Cleon in the Plains
- Secret Killer Unleashed?
- This Python Ate WHAT?
- Feel Good Stories of the Week
- Watch Tornado Slam into School
- 65-Car Crash Blamed on WHAT?
- Santas on the Run!
- Arctic: The New Frontier
- Green Community Turns off Solar Panels
- Amazon Plans Delivery Drones
- GEESE Tsunami!
- Plane Crashes in Freezing Rain
- Scientists Try to Clone Extinct Species
- Black Hole's Extreme Brightness Baffles Scientists
- Next Winter Storm on the West Coast
- Next Winter Storm in the Midwest
- Panda Cub's Name Revealed
- China Winning Space Race?
- Why Hookah May Be More Harmful Than You Think
- Town Mayor Describes Impact of Typhoon
- Exploring Shipwrecks With a Turtle-Like Robot
- 'Zombie Comet' Reappears
- Deadly Collapse Caught on Camera
- Earth's Most Irreplaceable Sites
- Tiny Killer Surprises Victims
- 3-D Printed Car Greenest Vehicle Ever?
- A Bad Weather Beer
- Scary Snowman's Shocking Surprise
- Battle to keep Dwarf Goat and Mini Sheep
- One Giant Leap for Plant Kind?
- Missing Science Balloon Returns
- Black Bear Killed with WHAT?
- The Weather Channel Wants Your Snowy Patio Furniture Pics
- 5.6 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles Iranian Town
- Two Legs for Dog, No Problem
- We Sing For Your Snowy Patio Furniture Photos
- Sharks INVADE Coast
- Dog Missing 15 Days Found Alive
- Boy Hit By Meteorite?
- Amazing Holiday Window Displays
- Snakehead Found WHERE?
- Baby Born in DURING EF-5 Tornado
- China to Launch Its 1st Unmanned Probe
- Turkey Saved After Being Hit by Truck
- How Can We Keep Them Alive?
- RAW: Golf Ball Sized Hail Storm
- Your Makeup Has WHAT in It?
- Gassy Cows a Serious Danger?
- Mystery of the Pyramids, SOLVED
- Raw: Spinning Ice Disk in River
- Brazil's 2014 World Cup Stadium Partially Collapses
- WATCH: Teens Saved in STUNNING Rescue
- BUSTED: Under-Reported Fishing Traps
- Unexpected MASSIVE Catch
- Stairway to Heaven
- Darwin Named Frog Species Just Became Extinct
- GROWL: Watch Out Marathoners...
- Helicopter Crashes Into Pub
- White House Christmas Tree Arrives
- Jupiter's Eye Explained
- Bees Able to Detect CANCER?
- He HUGGED a Shark?
- Why Are Dolphins DYING?
- Photog Captures Astronauts Training Underwater
- Shark Found CHOKING on WHAT!?
- Archaeologists Dig In Wrong Spot For 90 Years
- Your Engine Could Stop MIDFLIGHT
- WATCH: Drive of DEATH
- Venomous Snakes Shock Driver
- Rare MONSTER Jellyfish Captured!
- Laughing Gas Severe Threat to Ozone Layer
- Man Hugs Lion in the Wild
- Mount Etna Rains Dust and Rocks on Hikers
- A New Way to Explore Earth
- Mount Sinabung Erupts
- Why is Cow on Hood of Car?
- Turkey Invasion WHERE?
- Winter Car Survival Kit
- Sour Grapes? 3,700 Year Old Wine
- Where did Stonehenge Come From?
- How Cold Weather Affects Your Smart Phone
- Storm Damage You Didn't Know You Had?
- In Antarctica: Visitors From Beyond the Galaxy?
- A Cheating Fisherman
- What Will Make You a Sour Grape
- Leaves Could Derail Rail Travel
- 15-Year-Old Encounters Playful Seal
- WEIRD or Adorable?
- Driest Surface Ever?
- Mystery Sea Creature Washes Ashore
- Is it Ever Too Cold to Snow?
SYLVAN BEACH, N.Y. -- It was a "guys day," a celebration of family and summer. Three boys and their dad took a 20-foot powerboat out on the central New York lake where they grew up, partly to mark the oldest boy's upcoming engagement.
The family patriarch and two sons would die on Oneida Lake that Thursday night. A third son was badly injured, and his mother said he now carries the burden of surviving.
The oldest boy, Stephen Aceto, had told his family he was there to propose to his girlfriend, Krista Zeisman. She suspected the big question was coming her way but didn't know for sure, said Stephen's mother, Carolyn Aceto. Up from Tampa, Fla., where she and Stephen lived, she was meeting the large, close-knit Italian family for the first time since they started dating a year ago.
As the women, Carolyn and Krista included, mingled at home in nearby Utica, the men were on Oneida Lake, watching fireworks a day after Independence Day. It was a lake, Carolyn said, they knew "like the back of your hand" from family outings over the decades before.
"They were just going to have a guys' day," Carolyn Aceto said in a strong voice that yielded to occasional cracks. "Just a guys' fun day, then all of us all together."
Shortly after 10 p.m., the pilot, believed by Carolyn Aceto to be 33-year-old Timothy Aceto, got distracted by fireworks. He looked away for a second and hit the concrete base of a buoy, wrecking the boat and sending all four men into the water. None wore a lifejacket.
The bodies of Anthony Aceto, 66, Stephen, 41, and Timothy, were recovered the next day by emergency crews. Anthony, a 39-year-old husband and father of a 2-year-old boy, survived with a broken shoulder and cracked ribs. Though cleared physically to go home Saturday, his mother said he is shattered by the tragedy, shouldering the burden of survivor's guilt for not being able to save his father and brothers.
"He's lost his father, his brothers," Carolyn Aceto told The Associated Press on Saturday evening. "He couldn't save them."
A friend who was boating alongside the Aceto family, Rob Luckina, saved young Anthony and tried to save the others.
"He still can't get over it," Carolyn Aceto said.
A salvage crew recovered the boat Saturday from the waters off Sylvan Beach.
The accident happened in an area known as Messenger Shoal, about five miles west of Sylvan Beach, on the lake's eastern end. The men were returning to the village when the crash occurred, said Oneida County Sheriff's Lt. James McCarthy.
McCarthy said the buoy has a light that flashes intermittently. The cause of the crash is still under investigation.
"They knew it like the back of your hand," Carolyn Aceto said, talking about family outings on Oneida Lake twice a week in good weather when the boys were growing up. "They just happened to turn around and look at fireworks."
At the Aceto home in Utica, where Anthony and Carolyn raised their boys in a "big, typical Italian family," dozens of friends and family gathered Saturday to support the clan.
"We were all inseparable," Carolyn Aceto said. "No matter what or where we were. We were inseparable. Everyone knew what everyone else was doing."
Anthony Aceto was retired from the New York State Department of Transportation but had taken a job at a local bus transfer station "just for something to do," Carolyn said. He adored his children and his grandchildren.
"And he adored me," his wife of 42 years said.
Stephen, the oldest, moved to Florida about a decade ago and had an 8-year-old son, Grayson, and a 5-year-old daughter, Piper, from a previous marriage. Timothy, the owner of the boat, had his own home improvement business and was married with a 15-year-old daughter.
"I'm just glad I've got one son left," Carolyn said. "He's got a cracked shoulder and broken ribs but he made it. He's lost his father. He couldn't save them. He's having nightmares."
Carolyn Aceto said funeral arrangements hadn't been made yet. The family will do what they've always done in times of trouble: Lean on each other.
"There's one son left to draw on," she said. "I need him to lean on. My husband's not here to draw on."