- Storms Pound Northeast
- Tropical Storm Barry
- Severe Weather Week Ahead
- Ever Seen Spider Lightning?
- Changes Coming to the Tropics?
- iWitness: Waterspout in the Gulf
- 98 Year old Message in a Bottle
- A Fluffy Cow!
- Baggage MIS-handler's Exposed
- NASA Wants You to Hunt Asteroids
- Wild Shark Ride Reaction
- Flood Surrounds Religious Site
- Watch Horse Rescued from Mud
- A Record Breaking Pig
- Your Weekend Forecast
- Travelers Hide From Tornado
- Cat Shot With Arrow Recovering
- Birthday Party for Young Gorilla
- More Storms Ahead
- Amazing Volcano Shockwave!
- Shark Attacks Man Off Kona Coast
- Hear Kitty Kitty...Robot?
- A National Look at the Next 3 Days
- New Space Video Amazes NASA
- Coolest Job Ever!
- Look Out Below!
- Residents Flee Another Wildfire
- New Evacuation Zones in NYC
- How Aliens See Earthlings
- What's Growing Under NYC?
- Wild Encounters in the Water
- Enormous Threat to NYC
- Death of a Satellite
- Ice Carving Magic in Time-Lapse
- Rebuilding after Sandy Delayed
- Missouri Flash Flood
- Talking to FEMA: Lessons From Sandy
- Women Make Big Leap at NASA
- Could This Save Your Life?
- Tornado Forces Airport Evacuation
- Is Google Taking Over the Skies?
- Watch: Boat Sinks..Tourists Saved
- Inside the Shuttle Atlantis
- 36 Hours of Rain Did This
- Wildfire's Hidden Dangers
- Watch the Birdies in NYC
- Biker Crashes Into Cop Car
- Drought Contributed to Fire Losses
- Stormy Weekend in the Plains
- Fire Claims 483 Homes
- Shark Crashes Through Cage
- What's a Heat Wave to You?
- Meteorite Proves Possible Mars Life
- Raw Video: Eagle Pass Flooding
- A New Way to Reach the Stars
- Puppies Born During Vicious Storm
- CO Wildfire Most Destructive
- Amazing Place: Hawaiian Lava Flows
- World's Most Dangerous Bike
- Martian Mystery Solved!
- Is THIS How We'll Look In the Future?
- Could This End the Human Race?
- Cantore at the Winter Games
- Is the Moon Getting Bigger?
- Lightning in Fast Forward
- Alien Storm Clouds
- Derecho Threat for Millions?
- Heat, Above Average Temps Continue
- Anti-Aging Drug You Already Have
- Palm Trees at the Winter Games?
- New View of Moore, OK Tornado
- Dining in the Sky
- Waterspout Hits Family Gathering
- Weather and the Hindenburg Crash
- Inside Tumbling TWC Vehicle
- Raw Video: Tornado Flips Semi
- Tornado Hits TWC Crew
- See Funnels Drop from Cloud
- World's Greatest Mystery Solved?
- Safest Weather Cities
ELMIRA, N.Y. -- At least 16 houses have been declared uninhabitable in the aftermath of a tornado strike in Elmira.
Chemung County emergency management director Michael Smith says state and federal inspectors will continue to assess storm damage until early next week.
The tornado touched down about 4 p.m. Thursday packing winds of up to 110 mph. It was part of a strong storm system that punished much of the northeast on Thursday.
There were no reports of injuries in Elmira.
The utility NYSEG said 13,468 homes and businesses were still without power Saturday afternoon. Most of those were in the Elmira area.
AP Photo/Heather Ainsworth
A row of broken power lines reveal the path that a tornado took after it struck Elmira N.Y., Thursday, July 26, 2012.
In Pennsylvania, meteorologists have confirmed a tornado touched down in northern Pennsylvania during powerful storms that knocked out power to thousands statewide.
The National Weather Service says a twister with winds of 80 mph touched down Thursday afternoon near Coudersport, Potter County.
Later that night, authorities say a woman was killed by a falling tree. The Potter County coroner says 66-year-old Linda Button died in Genesee Township, about 150 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.
First Energy Corp. reports that about 24,000 customers in western and northern Pennsylvania were still without power Friday night. Numbers had been much higher earlier in the day.
The high winds tore the roof off a volunteer fire hall in Butler County. In Cambria County, WJAC-TV in Johnstown had its Thursday evening newscast knocked off the air by lightning.
In total, four tornadoes have been confirmed in the wake of the storms.